Saturday, October 2, 2010

In the backyard today I discovered a profusion of flowers and good things. I had to walk around in the lush grass and photograph some of it. The other day Kevin discovered a few stunning Spider Lilies which I had never seen before and am thrilled they are in my backyard! I had honestly forgotten about them til I turned the corner of by the patio and found them in all their glory. My herbs and other flowers are doing well, too, though my Morning Glories haven't bloomed since the first time. Here are a few photos from my backyard stroll. =)


My beautiful rose bush has bloomed again. I love the rich coral-orange color of the blooms. The smell is so sweet!

A new rose.
A little rosebud starting to bloom.


And here are the red Spider Lilies! I'm especially excited for these. The petals around the center were actually shimmering -- I don't think I've ever seen that before in a flower. It is so beautiful and unique. The little stems shooting out had pollen collected at the tips. The flower pictured below had a tiny spider web woven between the stems (you can see it at the right of the photo).

Spider Lily closeup. The photo doesn't do it justice.





Here is a lovely purple flower Kevin discovered. Never seen this one in the yard before either. It started growing in a corner where we have lots of green plants so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more new flowers to come.

Can you see the bug??     



Here is our mushroom birdhouse. I think it's darling. It's hanging in the Crepe Myrtle at the opposite side of the yard. The Crepe Myrtle has been pruned so it looks more like a tree. It's adorable! The perfect place for a little bird family to live. Though I think we'll have to wait til next Spring for any birds to take up residence.



We have a few huge Rose of Sharon along one side of the fence. Here is one of the blooms. They die off pretty quickly but then re-bloom quickly again so it's almost always colorful.

I think this variety is called Double Purple?

So I think my dead Coriander from the Summer decided to start growing again? It looks like I have about four of these starting to sprout up around my Basil...I honestly can't remember if this is what the Coriander looked like when it started growing in July, but we'll see once it gets a little bigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...